Since I've been tagged for this meme by the shiny-headed rageaholic Jay G., here's 7 things you probably don't know about 15 year old me. :P
1. I actually got held back in school. Between 1st and 2nd grade I was held back for about 2 weeks. I had CP and was much smaller than the other kids you see, so it was decided I needed to stay in 1st grade for my own good. After a few weeks of my parents and teachers saying "this kid is bored out of his mind here, he needs to be in 2nd grade" they wised up and let me in.
2. I don't like libraries. They've always creeped me out and I don't know why. Maybe because they're just a little too quiet for a public place. Even in college I'd go almost anywhere but the library to study. It probably didn't help that librarians were grouchy and mean to me when I was little. Of course they had good reason to be, since I almost never brought books back on time.
3. In highschool our school paper wanted to write a piece on my running cross country with CP. My coaches, teammates, and my journalism teacher / newspaper advisor knew I'd never go for it, so they did most of the research, interviews etc. for the article without telling me. Then they bugged the hell out of me and interviewed me last. I'm glad I agreed, because something my XC captain said has stuck with me through the years, and I quote, (from memory so let's hope it's accurate)
"I have run XC with Mike for two years. No one works harder or gets more satisfaction from doing his best. He's a beast and an example to all other athletes."
I'm not so sure I ever lived up to that, but if it's the perception others had of my kicking my own ass day in and day out then I'm glad that perception made a positive impact on them.
4. My aunt Syl passed away in 1996 after being hit by a lady in a minivan who ran a red light. I came across these photos last year and cried for the 1st time in a long time. I miss her.
5. In college I worked a part-time job at a grocery store where I had to join not one but two unions. This was not optional. By taking the job I had to join both the regular union and the deli / meat department union. This is part of why I don't like unions today. Involuntary union membership goes against basic freedom of association. Freedom of association necessarily includes the freedom not to associate.
6. A couple of years ago I farted in church. The thing is, it was Christmas mass and I ripped a huge, long, reverberating one conveniently placed during a moment of silence. The only thing more embarrassing would've been if I'd shit my pants. I'm not quite old enough for incontinence just yet. :)
7. I am so fast I once ran out of my shoes. At a Cross Country race at Bellevue State Park I made the right turn to start the long, flat straightaway to the finish line, picked up speed and ran right out of my shoes.
So, was that as good for you as it was for me? ... ;)
Hmmm, who shall I tag....
2. Mr. Apple himself
4. Christina LMT
8. Speaker Tweaker