Thursday, May 13, 2010

Only in Liberal Land....

A teacher in Massachusetts fails her English proficiency exam and the MA Supreme Court rules that she can't be fired.

A teacher who can't demonstrate proficient English is exactly the kind I want teaching kids.

This is even worse than the ESL classes we had back when I was in high school. Sure, we were handicapping those students for life, but at least the teachers knew English.

How can we expect kids to become functioning, productive members of society when we can't even require that those teaching them be proficient in the language?

H/T to Midwest Chick.

2 comments:

Bob S. said...

I'm always confused by the ESL class argument.

I've been told that the best way to bring a person up to fluency in English is to teach in a bilingual setting. (ESL)

Yet, I've also been told that the beset way to teach a person a foreign language is total immersion.


Guess that only applies when one already speaks English.

Weer'd Beard said...

I had a Math teacher in High school who couldn't do math....but that was only because he was too drunk to teach, does that count?

Homeschooling looks VERY good to me.