Sunday, November 13, 2011

1911 Mags

You know what's really annoying?  When you buy a new ~$1100 gun and right out of the box the mags don't want to work.

The DW Heritage shipped with two Checkmate mags.  They are only so-so in the reliability department, with the biggest issue being the first round in the mag nosediving when trying to load the gun.  They do seem to run better at the range as long as I only load 7 rounds, but I don't trust them and they've been relegated to range-only mags.

My Chip McCormick Power Mag Plus mags?  Not a single problem.  They've run flawlessly in the Heritage since day one without my having to download them.

I also bought one Les Baer mag.  With the slide closed I can't even insert a loaded mag.  It'll go 90% in and I'll encounter a ton of resistance.  I'll be giving that one to Laura &  Chris the next time I see them.  Maybe it'll work in one of their 1911's.

I guess that's what you get when you buy a 1911, and why there are a million different manufacturers of 1911 mags.

8 comments:

Tango Juliet said...

Tripp Cobra's are your friend.

The Duck said...

In the class with Vickers, they said even with Wilson mags to only load 7. Vickers said with 8 you are forcing them

Lokidude said...

Everybody talks up the Wilson 47D, but for the money, nothing I've seen even comes close to my beloved McCormick Powermags. Stick with them, Chip won't do you wrong.

Laura said...

the McCormicks are fantastic, aren't they? their price is pretty nice, too.

mike's spot said...

McCormicks rock! I've also had good luck with ACT 8 round mags, and the Joe's Mag Mania mags. both load and seat well with 8 rounds, and cycle whatever I jam in em.

Bubblehead Les. said...

When there are a lot of variables, be sure you try to find the common problem. Are you using the exact same ammo in all the mags? Does the symptoms change if you use different ammo and the bad mag suddenly starts to feed flawlessly?

Not saying that the mags will suddenly heal themselves, but if you have to use a different ammo (oh, let's say you go from 230 grain Ball to a 200 grain+P JHP, for example), and the mags you once trusted suddenly don't work, well, it may not be the mag.

Remember, the 1911 was designed over a hundred years ago to function with 230 grain Ball. When the "Gun Games" started to grow in the 70's and 80's, a lot of Gun Smiths started making lots of money "Tuning" the 1911 for Different Loads.

So here's a Baseline Test you can do. Get as many different mags as you can, including some surplus G.I., fill them with the same 230 Grain Ball from the same Manufacturer, and see what feeds and what doesn't. Then get a Modern Defense Load that you like, and repeat the test. Then find a 3rd. Brand that Replicates as close as possible to your Defense Load, but doesn't cost and arm and a leg, and run it again.
That should tell you what is working, and what needs to be sold off. Then go practice for the rest of your life.... ; ). Hope this helps.

Weer'd Beard said...

I'm a 47D guy. They work, the Chips didn't, don't mess with what works.

CTone said...

Definitely go with what works, but for me that's always been the Chip McCormick Powermags. I feel your pain; Kimber puts one of their atrocious mags in the box with their 1911s.