Tuesday, March 20, 2012

To Hell And Back.......Uh

Weer'd asks "What has happened to Sig?"  It's a valid question, and one he and I discussed in Pittsburgh.  All of the anecdotal evidence I've seen says that new Sig pistols just aren't what they used to be.  It seems to me at least that Sig is cutting corners while trying to ride solely on their name and "To hell and back" reliability slogan.  The man who used to run Kimber is running Sig these days.  That should tell you all you need to know...

I visit Sigforum enough to see quite a few instances of brand new $800+ guns with burrs on the slide, finish problems, feeding & extraction problems etc. etc.  I've seen guys buy a brand new gun for $900, have immediate problems, only to have Sig tell them they should shoot 500 or more rounds of premium defensive ammo out of the gun before sending it back to Sig if there are still problems!

The newest Sig I own was made in 2005, the oldest 1979. I would absolutely buy a NIB older Sig or an old CPO over a new, current production gun from them.

12 comments:

Bob S. said...

My SP2022 has had no problems at all. No burrs, not a single Failure. Takes a wide variety rounds and never hiccups.

Maybe I'm lucky

Bubblehead Les. said...

And yet, they plan on opening a New Plant at the Old Pease Air Force Base just outside Portsmouth, NH. So SOMEBODY must be buying the new Crap.

Mike W. said...

Bob - The SP2022's seem to have been unaffected by Sigs major drop in QC over the last few years.

The P-series guns on the other hand....

DirtCrashr said...

Maybe that'll make my '89 P220 go up in value? I'm not waiting for the Viking Funeral, if that's where they're spending all their time...

Divemedic said...

"only to have Sig tell them they should shoot 500 or more rounds of premium defensive ammo out of the gun before sending it back to Sig"

Why not? That excuse has worked on the 1911 fanboys for over a century. That is all I heard when I bought a 1911 and had problems, is how you need to put 500 rounds through it to break it in.

Jay G said...

Mike, FWIW I'm testing a P250 - yes, Sig's redheaded stepchild - and it's been great thus far. Granted, it's only been to the range 3-4 times, but it has not had a single FT-anything so far...

mike's spot said...

500 rounds of premium defensive ammo is something I have NEVER seen in any 1911 manual. 500 round break in? yea those exist. 500 rounds of defensive ammo is a big ol' EFF YOU to the customer. at a buck a shot, your spending near the cost of the gun just to prove to them they should have done something they didn't do.

That being said, I've owned 4 1911s, 3 of which were new- NONE required any break-in period.

that being said- saying it has worked for over a century is also a bit of stretch. I don't think the 75 years the 1911 was the service arm of the US they told GIs to run half a case of ammo through it before they started complaining. . . .

Tam said...

"Why not? That excuse has worked on the 1911 fanboys for over a century."

Only dumb ones. A gun that needs 500 rounds before it will (allegedly) work is broken, sucky, and unsat.

If it needed 500 rounds to break it in, then they should have put 500 rounds through it before putting it in the box.

Roadkill said...

The 2022s I believe are all made in Germany. Older sigs generally sell for a good price if in great condition.

Mad Saint Jack said...

Off on a tangent.

Seems like Sig will void your warranty if you run steel cased ammo.

I've been wondering if they apply this policy to their 7.62x39 rifle offering.

Weer'd Beard said...

I'm also wondering if the Sig-Pros and the P250s are so much more simple designs than the metal-framed P-series guns, and in that simplicity the lapse in SIG QC and small parts quality has allowed the simpler guns to have better results.

DirtCrashr said...

I'm hoping my old Sigs will fetch a sufficiently good price to cover for my insane Ed Brown shenanigans before the bottom drops out of the market. They're made of German-steel toaster-parts from when Iron Toasters crossed the High Prairie.
(yeh I'm working on that line)