Thursday, June 7, 2012

Complacency + Guns = Bad

There are reasons why you never want to get complacent with guns around.  Last Sunday morning I had a reminder of that.  Rule #1.

Last weekend I put the PPQ and the P229 in their holsters, threw them along with a few spare mags in my duffel bag, and headed to the beach at about 11PM.  I got in, put both guns on the family room table, and passed out on the couch despite Zachary snoring his head off.

The next morning I woke up, let the dog out and headed out to Wawa for milk & soda.  I stuffed a mag in the P229, holstered it, put a spare in my right pocket, and headed out.  I stopped at Wawa, then the liquor store, then the sub shop.  After hanging out with the dog outside till about noon I decided I needed a shower. We had folks working on the house, so before showering I took the gun off, dropped the mag and......checked the chamber.

Imagine my surprise when I found an empty chamber!  Yup.  I'd been carrying an unloaded, two pound brick for the last 3 hours.*  What the fuck?!

I can honestly say that's the first time I've ever carried around an unloaded gun. Always check the chamber folks!  Always, Always Always!

*hey, a P229 would still hurt if you threw it at someone's head, right?

**Also, if you do a google search for this you'll find that all kinds of folks carry around their guns without one in the pipe!  Why?!  It doesn't do you much good if it's not in an operable lead chucking mode when you need to use it.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did it work out for Meleanie Hain?

Evyl Robot Michael said...

Heh. I did the same thing once with my 586s. Imagine my cold sweats when I discovered that I had fourteen empty chambers on me!

LibertyNews said...

I did the opposite last summer. I used the mag to load one in the chamber, dropped the mag to top it off and ... put the mag in my left pocket, BG380 with a single round in the right. I didn't notice until a few hours later when my first though was 'shit! my mag fell out' until I realized what I'd done.

Weer'd Beard said...

Anon, you are indeed king-classy!

Let me ask you, is ignorance indeed bliss?

To Mike, Remember Rule #1 also applies to guns you KNOW are loaded, as well as guns you KNOW are unloaded.

When picking up a gun that hasn't been under my direct control I ALWAYS check the chamber. Press-check when you are sure its loaded, full open of the action when you're sure its not.

You'll occasionally be surprised.

Tam said...

Anonymouse,

"How did it work out for Meleanie Hain?"

How does a thimble headed gherkin like you even manage to figure out how to work the "ON" button?

The only mouth-breathing assclown here who seems to be getting guns confused with bulletproof vests is you. Ain't nobody else claiming it's a force field, magic wand, or lucky rabbit's foot.

Go play in traffic, putz.

agirlandhergun said...

I did the same thing several months ago. When I discovered what I had done, my stomach sank. It was an awful feeling. I am pretty obsessive about checking now.

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Good reminder... I've seen police officers do the same thing when I worked as and LEO...

Dann in Ohio

Mike W. said...

It was embarrasing, and stupid, but I figured my experience might serve as a good reminder, so I posted this.

Jay G said...

Mike, I took the kids out for Trick-or-treat one Halloween with the Snubbie from Hell in my pocket - bone-empty.

I'd wager the vast majority of us have done something similar at one point in time or another.

Weer'd Beard said...

+1

Good on you for sharing in a constructive way.

Its much easier to say "oh Shit!" and then mum up about it.

instinct said...

I will say that when I went through California POST training back in *mubmble-mumble* 91 they were still training to draw, jack a round, and then fire.

Took a while to get used to having a round in the chamber.

The theory was that if a bad guy grabbed it, it was empty.

eiaftinfo said...

Thanks for sharing. I suspect it will be quite some time before you don't check your weapon before holstering. :) Truth be told, ALL of us can think of an instant where we could apply a healthly head-slap for something we missed.

Anonymous said...

The Ammo Fairy giveth and the Ammo Fairy taketh away.

Blessed be the name of Press Check.

Leatherwing said...

Do you have a post where you review the PPQ? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

Sigman said...

"**Also, if you do a google search for this you'll find that all kinds of folks carry around their guns without one in the pipe! Why?! It doesn't do you much good if it's not in an operable lead chucking mode when you need to use it."

Because thats what the .mil teaches and there are those who believe if its good enough for Uncle Sam its good enough for them.

TomcatTCH said...

I found my Glock 30 chamber empty once, and for the life of me I don't know how long it was that way. I didn't take it out of the holster for at least a few days.

Now I tend to move my SF around a bit more, and I check it every time. Of coarse, that means I'm touching the damn thing more, so I don't know if that's better or worse.

laser sights for handguns said...

Thanks for sharing the lesson. I will have to check more often. Now that I think about it, I don't check if my gun is loaded very much.

theresa said...

You should never be complacent when it comes to guns. Lots of bad things happen when one forgets safety precautions. I agree with all the things said here. Couldn’t say it better.