Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Quick thoughts on the election

Essentially we had one side of the aisle saying to the American People.  "Hey, y'know, you can't have free stuff all the time" while the other side is saying to them "That other guy is EVIL.  He hates you!....Oh, and about that free stuff? Don't worry about it!  There's plenty to go around.  It'll all be fine and I'll take care of you.

The side that told the American people that the gravy train will continue unabated and they shouldn't worry their pretty little head......oh look!  Over there!  A rich person!  He didn't build that!  Stone him!  Oh, and by the way, Vaginas!  Yeah, that side won.

Tell me again why it's a surprise which side won?  It's not like our founding fathers didn't warn us about this.

I wrote this over 4 years ago.  We are no closer to keeping that flame lit now than we were 4 years ago, and I can't help but openly question whether the average American voter is the sort who can actually have a spark lit under their ass, or in their hearts. (in sufficient number at least)

As I quoted back in 2008, from Judge Learned Hand,

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it."


I'm hearing a lot of talk about how maybe if Obama makes things bad enough, we'll see that spark lit, people will awake from their stupor and things will get better.  I don't see it.  Rather, what I see is more groveling and suckling at the government teet as things get ever more pear shaped.  Being downtrodden, destitute and desperate will only make over half the country clamor for even more statism.  History bears this out.  We have enthusiastically chosen the path of Greece and France before us.  It's a vicious cycle.  Tytler was right.  Sigh.

I still think we need to keep the flame of liberty lit.  Problem is, I haven't the faintest clue how we're supposed to accomplish that in sufficient numbers to stave off the inevitable decline of what was once a beacon of individual liberty, economic freedom, and prosperity through hard work and innovation.

Rome didn't burn in a day.  It rotted from within.  Slowly.

1 comment:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Don't know about the rest of the country, but as I was checking the State of Ohio's Election Site yesterday, I came across this shocker: 2,621,104 REGISTERED Ohio Voters stayed home on Election Day. That's about 1/3rd.

Now, usually we hear Polling during the Election about "Likely Voters" and "Undecided Voters" and all the rest of that crap. Bottom Line is, only Registered Voters Count. But when one out of three stay Home, that tells me that those people (unless in Jail, Mental Hospitals, Comas, etc.) gave up. Obama did NOT win because the 'Murican people wanted Four More Years, but that he got enough of his Base out there to Vote.

So, if that many people didn't have enough Fire to Vote AGAINST Obama, not necessarily FOR Romney, then you might be right. The Fire in the Belly may be Dying.

OR they may be sending a message to the Republitard Party: Get Your Shit Together.

I don't know, but I'm hoping that's what they are saying. But all I know is, I'll keep Voting, until I have to support the Political Team of Smith/Wesson.

This is MY Country, MY Constitution, and the Oath I took "to Support and Defend the Constitution.."when I joined the Military doesn't have an Expiration Date.

So people can Lead, Follow, or get out of the Way, 'cause MY Fire still Burns.