Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rule Violations at the Convention

I have to agree with Roberta (Whom I didn't get the chance to meet) and Uncle on the rule 3 violations. The folks who put out the display guns are humans after all, so although highly unlikely, it's not impossible for a round to find its way into one of the thousands of guns on the floor. Just because it's on the display floor doesn't mean you shouldn't verify that it's unloaded before dry firing, the same as you would with your personal weapon. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong since this was my 1st time at one of these.

And honestly, the Para rep freaked me out when he was showing off their new piston AR's. He picked it up and pointed it directly at my chest. Rule 2 damnit! (yes, I know it's virtually impossible to handle a gun and not violate said rule at the convention, but I still don't like staring down the muzzle end of a rifle from a foot away)

10 comments:

Tam said...

You should have made a big production out of diving clear of Para Guy's muzzle.

That usually makes them blush. :)

E said...

Feel good or feel bad, loaded or not, it's *incredibly rude* on top of everything else.

Roberta X said...

My statement was originally more strongly worded and mentioned the (geesh!) Rule Two violations, too. Then I decided to not give the other side any ammo.

But still...! Next time, I'm wearing a T-shirt with the Four Rules on it, big as life. 'Cos a reminder can't hurt.

Robb Allen said...

I tried my damnedest to not point at anyone although I have to admit, when you're testing scopes out, it's veeeerrrryy tempting to put a bead right between someone's visual gathering devices.

Charles Pergiel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charles Pergiel said...

If someone points a gun at you, I believe you would be within your rights to shoot them dead. A few incidents like this and perhaps these dummies would wise up. Or maybe not. Okay, maybe that's a little too brutal for a cheerful gathering. What may happen is someone will accidentally get shot at a gun show and it will be all over the news. But wait, we have 100's (1000's?) of gun shows every week, and I haven't heard of anyone getting shot yet. Uhmmm, I didn't say that. Should not speak of the devil, he might hear you calling.

Anonymous said...

When I was a teenager,I had a family friend point a gun at my head.I forcefully told him to point it somewhere else NOW,or I would kill him.He responded by saying "jeez it's unloaded" and blew a hole in the ceiling.ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED!and my faith in "safeties" is limited as well.

Sebastian said...

All the firearms in the hall have been rendered inoperable. Not that you should not follow the rules anyway, but even if a round made its way into the hall, the guns displayed won't fire it.

Brandon said...

All the firearms in the hall have been rendered inoperable.

They're supposed to have been rendered inoperable, but I'm not betting a plug nickel against the possibility that there's one (or some) that got missed.

I think Roberta's T-shirt idea is fantastic, and I'd have a whole lot of foul language to direct at someone who deliberately pointed a weapon at me.

Para Guy would have found himself on the receiving end of a colorful verbal lashing worthy of the Navy's saltiest Master Chief.

Mikee said...

The firearms carried by convention attendees were not rendered inoperable, were they?

"Hey, Mr. Para Rep, let me show you my new LDA! Don't worry, I unloaded it..." would be a very stupid last thing to hear.