Friday, August 19, 2011

Linking, Whining, and a note on blogging

Ok, so I am apparently a little late to this whole kerfuffle, but I'll throw in my worthless two cents anyway since this is my soapbox.

A certain blogger is apparently unhappy and whining about being "blacklisted" by pro-gun bloggers.  He refuses to provide proof of said "blacklist" and for my part this is the 1st I've heard of any such thing.  I have my doubts that any such list exists.

Let me state that I do not regularly read TTAG and that some of what I have read I vehemently disagree with.  Mostly though, they're just not on my radar as a regular read.  That said, as someone who has had folks lift entire posts and pictures from my blog and post them on theirs I tend to have a low opinion of those who do it.  I expect anti-gun bloggers to do it, given their character.  It is not the kind of behavior I expect from those who are on my side.  TTAG has done so repeatedly to fellow bloggers.  That's an asshole move and I'm not going to sit here and defend assholes.

For the sake of this post let's assume that TTAG IS being blacklisted by what I'd assume is at most a handful of pro-gun bloggers.  So what?  So a handful of gunnies have decided they don't like you, think you're an ass, or just plain don't find your blog interesting and thus don't link to it.  Who cares?  Man up and don't get your panties in a bunch about it.

If I were in his place my attitude would be as follows.  Some bloggers don't like what I say here, or don't like me because I have CP, or because I like big butts and they don't, big whoop.  The reason is irrelevant, as is the fact that they won't link to me.

The long and short of it is this.  People don't have to link to you, especially if they don't like what you have to say.  People most certainly don't have to link to vile, bigoted, attention whoring anti-gun bloggers.  I understand TTAG feels differently, but I will not provide them a forum here and I absolutely will not link to those who "out" other bloggers.  Furthermore, TTAG's contention that refusing to link is a 1st Amendment issue is bullshit.  I'm not even going to bother to explain why, as I assume my readers are intelligent enough to understand.

I don't get linked that often here at Another Gun Blog, and that's fine. Sure, I appreciate links, but I blog for me.  If someone decides they're not going to read me that is their loss, not mine.  I'm certainly not going to bitch and moan about it and claim there's some vast "blacklisting" conspiracy against me. (while refusing to provide evidence of such)  If I did that I'd sound like a whiny bitch.

*You'll note that I chose not to link to TTAG.  I did that not because I've "blacklisted" him, but because he whined about being blacklisted and then refused to back up that claim.

4 comments:

Alan said...

Apparently "I don't like that blog" = "Blacklist"

45er said...

Here's an idea: I'm just going to keep plugging on my little blog to make myself happy. I wish others would have the same attitude.

Nancy R. said...

Who the hell is TTAG and why am I supposed to link to him? It sounds like he feels "entitled" to other gunnies liking him.

Anonymous said...

I commented once at TTAG on an _unbelievably_ racist post (a gun review!) from Fargo. He emailed me back explaining that it was his wife that said that, not him, so it wasn't really racist. And it's not racist if it's about hating white people... Before that the vibe on TTAG was decidedly odd. I couldn't tell what they believed in or supported. Haven't been there since, sounds like others have noticed what I did.