Friday, September 16, 2011

A Clean Success

I finally broke down the Dan Wesson for cleaning last night.  After a few mishaps and my sending the recoil spring plug across the room where it decided to hide I got the damn thing cleaned, lubed and reassembled.

Of course now I've got a nice "idiot scratch" on it.  Mine's actually in a zig-zag pattern going from the slide stop down towards the trigger.  Good thing I've long since stopped worrying about putting scratches on guns. (even $1K guns)  If you shoot and carry a gun it's going to get wear marks and scratches, so what's one more?

7 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

EVERYBODY launches the recoil plug a few times in their life. Also my 5" stainless also has a perfect swing-arc idiot scratch. You'll soon figure out how to do it without scratching it, but good on you for not caring. That DW is built to work, not to look pretty!

Alan said...

Everyone that owns a 1911 has sent the recoil spring plug flying. It's like a rite of passage.

Weerd is right, the beauty of a carry gun is in the scratches and wear of a lifetime spent at your side.

Mike W. said...

This was my 1st time cleaning the gun. I'd been putting it off for a while since I knew I'd have issues.

It was definitely a frustrating PITA but now that I've done it without someone sitting there babying me through it I don't think I'll have any issues.

FightinBluHen51 said...

You need to get yourself one of those nifty tools that separates the bushing wrench and the guide rod plug.

I have one, never launched a guide rod spring ever. I wish I could remember who manufactures it though. Makes a HUGE difference, and you'll never go back to an old wrench again.

Newbius said...

Launched the plug last night, and have an idiot scratch too. Haven't even shot the gun yet.

I do not care. Yes, it is a $1000 gun. It is also a tool, not a crystal wine goblet.

UGA Wino said...

Beautiful gun! Scratches just give it a little extra character....

kaveman said...

"You need to get yourself one of those nifty tools that separates the bushing wrench and the guide rod plug."

My Kimber came with one of those tools. Works great and allows you to break down the damn thing with only 2 hands.