Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Interpersonal Communication

I love the internet, I really do.  Kids these days have no clue how good they have it. Looking at the way in which we communicate now versus how we did while I was growing up, the difference is astounding.  Just consider the gunblogging community.  Spread across the country you have people of differing backgrounds, races & socioeconomic positions and with wildly varying interests who share an interest in firearms and a love of freedom and individual liberty.

 I grew up playing phone tag constantly and walking to friends houses to see if they were home.  I didn't get a cell phone until high school.  It had awful reception and terrible battery life and was to be used only for actual emergencies and for rides during after school sports.  Oh, and I had to share it with my little sister.

"The internet" consisted of AOL on a dialup modem where you could chat with people via AIM if they happened to be on at the same time as you......assuming no one called your house and kicked you offline.  There was no Facebook, no Twitter, no Blogosphere, nada.

Imagine what the "Blogosphere" would be today if we were using 15 year old technology.  Think of the friends you wouldn't have, all the awesome people you wouldn't know, and most importantly, think of where the gun rights movement would be today.  The internet and social media might well be the greatest tool of those of us who love freedom.

Oh yeah, and suck it MSM!

4 comments:

Christina LMT said...

I agree. I'm very thankful for the miraculous intarwebz.
Blogging, especially, has changed my life!

Alan said...

ONE phone in the kitchen.

NO Internet, dial up or otherwise.

Four TV stations.

Looking back it seems like the dark ages.

The Internet may be the greatest invention since indoor plumbing.

Bubblehead Les. said...

In my day, if your car broke down, you Hoped that there was a Pay Phone nearby, or you looked safe enough so someone would call the Local Garage for you. And they had to make the call, because there was none of this "Cordless" stuff.

But AT+T, who had the Nationwide Monopoly, STILL Charged you a Monthly Rental Fee just to have a Phone, and Long-Distance was EXPENSIVE.

You Kids have it Easy! Don't see any of YOU guys walking 5 miles Uphill Both Ways in a Blizzard just to go to School...; )

Linoge said...

I was sitting on a plane, live-writing a new post to my weblog that would be viewed by millions, when the memory of my father's first 286 desktop struck me, and of the BBS system he used for some kind of certification or whatnot.

Yeah. We ain't extras in Star Trek, but damn we have come a ways.