Monday, January 7, 2013

Why I'm Not a Sheep

The call-in topic on the Squirrel Report from last night was "Why I am not a sheep."

Breda's answer was excellent, which isn't the least bit surprising.  She was on a roll.
You can listen to her here.



I wanted to call-in, but didn't get a chance since I was at my brother's celebrating his birthday and then I stayed over and played Madden on XBox 360 and air hockey with the kids.

I realize that I'm going to end up kind of piggybacking on what she said with this post, but so be it.

I am not a sheep because I live in the real world.  I am aware. Sheep are people who think the world is soft and easy, that "evil" doesn't really exist etc. etc. As a kid I was smaller than a lot of the other kids and I was clearly and noticeably "different."  I wore big, plastic AFO's on both legs that came to below my knee, and at one point I had a pair that were bright neon (highlighter) green.  I limped.  I toe walked.  I fell a lot.  I had scars on my legs. Oh, and I had to go to speech therapy as a kid too.  I learned to be tough and to stand up for myself.

 I was fiercly independent and stubborn at an early age.  I am certain this was partly genetic, but also, I had to be.   I was also overly inquisitive and aware, always asking questions, reading etc. Many seemingly easy things were difficult for me, and Mom was great about forcing me to do all those things without someone rushing to help me, no matter how much I struggled or others begged her to let them help.  I'm glad she did.

On several occasions, when other kids were out having fun all summer, I was having major surgery, then laying around in casts and immobilizers and using walkers and wheelchairs.  I'd come back to school in a wheelchair and leg casts and make up some crazy story just to get assholes to stop bugging me about my legs.  I always liked the "jetskiing crash" one.

Your experiences mold you, and growing up with a "disability" is no exception. There's more to it than just learning to be autonomous, rather you have an incredibly strong need to prove that you are autonomous. This carries over into adulthood even if it's sometimes to a fault. You don't want someone to rush to your aid and say "you poor thing" (unless she's hot ) You don't want others assuming you're not capable. You don't want to have to rely on someone else.  It's only natural then, that this philosophy fits perfectly with gun ownership.

 I also grew up in a family of law enforcement.  I had family friends who were cops and prosecutors.  I didn't have the "luxury"  of living in fantasy land where "nothing bad ever happens here." I knew that it happened here and elsewhere. I played basketball with one of the prosecutors involved in the Cohen murders. If you don't know that was a case where this guy in Hockessin murdered his parents, bludgeoning them with a dumbbell, then went on the run.  He was on America's most wanted for a while.

I knew people whose job it was to put away the worst violent criminals Delaware had to offer.  I can remember sitting in at a trial once.  It was a case where a rival drug dealer murdered another drug dealer execution style. Pretty standard stuff. This guy walked in, shot drug dealer #2 in the head with a 9mm, then did the same to his girlfriend and her infant child.  Drug dealer #2 survived.  You know why he killed the infant and mother?  "Because they was there."

When you are around those who deal with the dregs of society you tend to have a realist view of the world and that "boo hoo, poor them" rehabilitation crap liberals push just doesn't fly.  You see that most violent criminals are habitual offenders who do not rape, murder and rob only of "necessity."  They do it because they are immoral and put no value on human life.  You realize there are those who think nothing of snatching the life right out of you for shits and giggles.  You see life snatched from those you know and rather than live in a fantasy world of denial you learn from it.

Combine the realist view of criminals with that autonomous, individualistic view of the world and you understand why I'm not a sheep.  I understand that there is evil in the world and that I have certain physical shortcomings and so I choose the gun.  That is MY choice.  I have made it.  I and I alone am responsible for my own protection.  Those that wish to deny me that choice because "you don't need a gun for self-defense" can go to hell.  You make your choice, I'll make mine.

4 comments:

breda said...

thanks, Mike. Insightful and brilliant, as always.

Mike W. said...

Thanks, Breda, though I do admit I kinda feel like I'm riding your coattails here.

Carl said...

Great post! Very insightful.

Anonymous said...

Columnist David Frum, in the Huffington Post, repeated the "you don't need a gun because the police can and will protect you" mantra. He did not explain how 800,000 police officers "can and will" protect 300 million civilians from ten million criminals. BTW, liberals insist that you should depend on the police for protection, but then they railroad cops to prison for violating criminals' civil rights whenever the cops try to protect you.