Monday, June 23, 2014

Feminism, Self-Defense & Victim Blaming


These are the folks who think Ms. Nevada was wrong to say this, from Larry Correia



 “But I think more awareness is very important so women can learn how to protect themselves. Myself, as a fourth-degree black belt, I learned from a young age that you need to be confident and be able to defend yourself. And I think that’s something that we should start to really implement for a lot of women."

Basically, They think they should be able to just wish bad things won't happen, and anyone who comes along and says "reality doesn't work that way" is an evil misogynist who's victim blaming.... Heck I'd like to not have CP.  I'd love to have one day where I'm pain free, but that's my reality.  All the wishing in the world doesn't change reality.  Teaching people not to rape is wonderful, but it doesn't solve the problem of those who weren't taught that lesson, or were but don't care.  I'd say most rapists rape knowing damn well it's bad. They know its wrong and they..... Do it anyway.

My sister has a friend who thinks like this.  A tiny little redhead who lives in Philly. I remember her being indignant about how she should be able to walk alone at night in the city, shouldn't have to carry her keys in her hand, shouldn't need pepper spray and will never carry it or a knife / gun, shouldn't need to walk in groups etc Etc.

That's nice and all, but it's magical thinking.  There are bad people in the world, and if you are a small female (or elderly, disabled etc etc) you are an easy target and should take steps to mitigate your risk.  That's not blaming the victim.

4 comments:

Bob S. said...

Wonder if these are the same people who think I should have to secure my firearms in a Fort Knox like safe so a criminal doesn't steal them?

I mean can't we just teach thieves not to steal firearms?

Anonymous said...

"We spend much of our lives going about completely blind to reality, and yet we still have to gall to act victimized when it invariably catches up to us."-Nenia Campbell

Anonymous said...

"If something is true, no amount of wishful thinking will change it."-Richard Dawkins

Ron said...

Sounds more to me like this tiny little red-head "wants" these things to be true. Well heck, so do I! But in the real world "needs" trump "wants". Oh to be liberal and never know the reality which is life.